I have been pretty quiet on the blog in December, I was concentrating on making and finishing lots of Christmas presents and didn't really have the time to write about them! Here are the first two gifts. My eldest son (Z, 4) decided he wanted to make 2 of his friends "superhero things" for Christmas, he knew which fabric he wanted them to have but didn't know what we should make from them. We sat together flicking through pages of patterns for around an hour short-listing a few along the way until he spotted what he called the "treasure collection one" that was the one and none of the others seemed to exist any more! Z likes collecting things wherever we are and I think he fancied the huge pocket for himself!
The pattern is actually the Treasure Pocket Tee from Duck Butt Designs so it is aptly named in my sons opinion!
I found the instructions a little confusing at first as there are a couple of different options included depending on whether you want to colour block, have a hidden pocket or I've even seen versions of this pattern with a double pocket so I needed to read through carefully and plan which pieces in which fabrics etc!
I only had the recipients RTW sizes rather than measurements, so had to make a guess on what pattern sizes to make based on those, where it was 3-4years RTW I chose the 4T as I figured it would be better big and grow into it than too small. I made the relaxed fit in both sizes.
Once all cut out, I checked with 'the boss' that I was doing it right according to him and sat explaining what needed joining with what to make it.
The first step is to attach the pocket parts to the rest of the front, I did this in a way which enclosed the raw/serged edge inside the pocket instead of the inside of the tee as the pattern suggested. I think this helps keep a softer less irritating seam against the wearers tummy.
All the rest went together nicely, with the only other adaptations to the pattern being making short sleeves instead of long and a banded bottom rather than hemmed. I only added the banded bottom as I felt the red needed balancing out, not because I felt the top wasn't long enough.
My son was very happy with the finished tees for his friends and I've heard that they fit well and were liked by them as well. Z has already requested at least 3 of these for himself and his brother, I can see it being a favourite for them!
Pattern: Treasure Pocket Tee
Fabric: Marvel Knit - Rooftop Fabrics
Plain fabrics - Tia Knight Fabrics
10/20/2016 10:38:25 pm
Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..
11/22/2017 01:36:58 am
This is also a primarily fantastic distribute which I really specialized confirming out
Leave a Reply.
Hi! I'm Sarah and I live with my 2 boys and my Husband in East Anglia, UK. I enjoy sewing for my family and it is my aim to have a completely MeMade wardrobe for us all!